I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Deep Thought Thursday: A Willing Vessel


Is it Thursday again already?? Yikes, the time is flying by here. Seems like just yesterday I was ranting about the Nazis, and the downward spiral of America.

Anyhoona-

Today I want to confess something. I have not been a willing vessel here on the field for a while. There have been ministry opportunities presented to me, and I have done them, although reluctantly and not to the best of my ability. And I know that is wrong, and I am glad the Lord has changed my heart.

So, today we'll talk about being a willing vessel. 'Cause some of you may be struggling with that too. I think it hits everyone now and then. Am I right?

2Timothy 2:20-21 "But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honor, and some to dishonor. (21) If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honor, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work."

Here comes confession number two. I haven't been as faithful in my Bible reading as I should be, and I have done things in a half-hearted way because I haven't been asking God for strength. I have been forging ahead on my own, and have been miserable and grumpy.

These verses say we need to purge ourselves from the vessels that are unto dishonor. That must be all the fluff I allow into my life. All the things God could never use because it's just sin. You can't very well go out and fill your pitchers with the living water of the Word if they're full of holes and cracks. They won't last long at all. And you can't even THINK about loaning them to someone else to use.

Interesting that the verse doesn't tell us which of the vessels are to honor or dishonor. There's a ; which tells me the thought continues, the vessels previously mentioned are still being discussed.

Maybe some of the gold and silver ones look good on the outside, but they aren't unto honor. That was me recently. I did the right things because it was expected, so I looked good, but in my heart I was resentful and selfish. Not honoring to God.

So, to be a vessel unto honor, I believe one needs to follow three criteria:
1.
Be in the WORD of God. (Let God speak to you.)
2. Remember one is under the WATCH of God. (Even if you look good on the outside, He knows your heart.)
3.
And be in the WILL of God. (Doing those things He has called you to do. Not just what you want.)

Sometimes we're unhappy because we're doing things that aren't God's will, even though they're good. We just do them because no one else is willing. On the other hand, sometimes we're unhappy because we've been flying solo and not asking the Lord to bless and use us. Sometimes it's a mixture of both.

But it's a new day, His mercies are new, and I am asking for His leading, blessing and strength. And there is a major difference. I think I'll try a bit harder to remember this from now on.

Funny how obedience gives immediate blessings, ain't it? Happy Thursday.

1 Comments:

  • Brenda

    I think it's interesting how it says "if a man purge himself" (other versions: cleanse himself) It says we DO have a part in this.

    Well said. I love those verses.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin