I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Make. It. Stop.


I was walking through the house a few days ago thinking how clean it looked. I had washed and put away the dishes, the girls had cleaned their rooms, all the laundry was done, and I was feeling pretty good. So good in fact that I sat down and had a little relax time.

Then I remembered we had company coming Wednesday. (That would be today.)

Suddenly high powered lenses slid in front of my eyes, and I noticed how dirty my house really was. I don't know where those lenses came from, but something tells me they will self-destruct after said company leaves. I noticed, among other things, that:

There was a stain on the wall near the couch from where a spider was killed and his remains left as a warning to the others that may or may not live in our house somewhere.

The contents of floor of my bathroom are frightening.

The counters in the kitchen reproduced crumbs before my very eyes.

The books on the shelving unit in our living room knocked themselves over and fell on the floor. Repeatedly.

Bits of paper and hair and dust came marching out from the nooks and crannies under the furniture and had a little parade around the coffee table before passing out in various and sundry open places around the house.

The sun shone extra-bright on the windows so all finger/tongue/foot prints were clearly visible.

The smells from dinner infiltrated any and all fibrous materials, including clothing in closets.

The curtains looked 'wrinkly' and had a fine layer of dust at the tops where no one ever looks.

Except me when my high-powered dirt lenses go into over drive.

Isn't it funny how the house is clean enough for your family to live in every day, but when company comes, it's never clean enough?

And how about everything your kids say that usually gets on your nerves suddenly becomes charming when company is over?

Or how you can't get up and down during dinner enough to make sure everyone has everything they need, even though if company weren't there your bum is firmly glued to your chair and people can serve themselves or starve for all you care?

Am I the only one this happens to???

Having company ensures the family eats better than ever, the house is cleaner than ever, the kids are more adorable than ever, and I am more neurotic than ever.

What happens to you when company comes?

4 Comments:

  • Brenda

    I stress out. WAY out. And then I threaten my family that no one is to walk in the door and gush over "how clean" my house looks or "wow! you really cleaned up." They are to act like my house always looks this good and be very nonchalant about it. Or there will be consequences.

  • Mary

    Once upon a time when I knew people where coming over, I would grab Mr Von Trapp's whistle and call the family into order (age was of no consideration). After the formal dressing down (usually presented in a slightly manic way) the chore allocations would begin. Our house (I mean home) would be ready to pass any military inspection. By the time the guests arrived we where all totally exhausted. My kids started telling all their friends that I had an obsessive compulsive disorder (the bloody cheek!)Interestingly, I was aware that I would have my home sparkling for some guests whose own homes where relaxed and overly contaminated with the joys of family living (dust, dishes, marks on walls, breadcrumbs, diseased windows etc etc etc) and it didn't worry me in the slightest. And yes, I am sure I would be one of those people who cleaned their home before they allowed their cleaner in to clean.

    But that was the old days.

    I am not so manic about the Van Trapp cleaning anymore. However, the other day a new coffee friend made the remark that she thought my home would be colourful and interesting and welcoming (full of personality, I believe she said). So guess what I am doing presently?


    Yep - redecorating.

    There is no 'keeping it real' when it comes to presenting your home.

  • Victoria

    Are we twins seperated at birth? All but the part where the kids suddenly become adorable - EXACTLY how it is for me!!!

  • WendyMom

    I don't think it's humanly possible for me to be any more neurotic than I already am. I feel and hear your pain, sister, I really do.

    2 things to say- I lived with you- saw your house on a daily basis- and will say that I have been in much dirtier places. I've checked into hotel rooms, that on arrival, were dirtier than your house on a bad day. For real-

    It got so bad for me that at one point, darling husband almsot banned me from having "family" parties. He was sure the harmony and happiness would never return to our home afterward- sometime the things you say and do...
    But, God taught me an awesome lesson about it. Last fall when my sister was so sick it happened that Thanksgiving fell right in the middle of all of that. I cooked dinner for my family- and invited anyone who wanted to stop by before or after the ICU visit with my sister to come. All I did was vacuum the largest of particles off the floor, put the food out, and enjoy the fellowship with my family. I even had my brother-in-law's mother there- a practical stranger for Pete's sake- but disn't stress. There's something about facing a life and death situation every day for a few weeks with a loved one that will change you drastically! Because we were so focused on what was really important- it didn't matter anymore.

    And, praise the Lord, I've had 2 or 3 parties since then, and have been able to keep that focus. Look at it this way- once there are enough people there, no-one will see anything anyway.

    Oh, adn your kids are extra cute all the time. I promise!

    I miss you and can't wait to get home so we can Skype!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin