I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Deep Thought Thursday: A Simple Conversation

**Conversation thus far is between a dedicated Christian, and a person who believes they are good and care for others. Questions have been raised about the character of God and His plan for people. The Gospel has been shared.**


Person 1: So if God is so full of love, then why doesn't He end world hunger and stuff?

Person 2: Don't you think He wants to? But He chooses to use people in positions of power to do that work. And because many times those people are corrupt, the monies God may have sent (many times through Christians) gets stolen and used for people's personal use. SIN perpetuates world hunger, not God.

Person 1: Well, why doesn't God just snap His fingers and MAKE them do right?

Person 2: Because you would hate Him for imposing His righteousness on people. Think of it like this; when there is a world leader (such as Hitler) who forces everyone to do things his way, no one likes him. And because he's human, his goals are always selfish and self-serving. But God is perfect and wants what is best for everyone, yet you are already hostile towards Him. Surely you would hate Him if He forced that righteousness of people, right?

Person 1: (Silence)

Person 2: Listen, God wishes everyone would love and serve Him and do right. But He won't make them. Who can freely love a person that is forced to do so?

Person 1: (Silence, looks at watch.) Well this has been fun, but I have to go.

Person 2: Sure. Let me know if you want to talk again. I'll be here.

Isn't it interesting that when people hear a logical explanation for why things are the way they are in the world, and that God is NOT to blame, their first reaction is to run away? When confronted with the truth in a loving and logical way, most people can't stand the thought that everything they've ever thought about God might be wrong.

And it makes me sad, because I've been there and know what they're missing.

2Timothy 3:2-5 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, (3) Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, (4) Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; (5) Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.


I need to pray more, how about you?

1 Comments:

  • Mary

    Since I have been a christian I have always believed that we continuosly communicate with God through our every thought and action. Sometimes I kid myself into believing that when I am tired, or lazy then that is enough. I have always struggled with the discipline of actually starting a formal conversation with God and staying completely focused on Him during the time spent together. So, yes I need to pray more. It bothers me at times that I can stay focused for longer periods when I am having a share time with a friend than I can when speaking to My Creator.

    Way too easy to go on a guilt trip.

    I trust (I'm being honest here)that God is giving me a little extra grace on this issue.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin