I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Protecting Our Hearts

I Samuel 10:9 "And it was so, that when he had turned his back to go from Samuel, God gave him another heart: and all those signs came to pass that day."

I have been reading in I Samuel lately (actually I'm in II Samuel now) and got to thinking about the life of Saul. What an opportunity he had to live for God. He was given a new heart! (Just like we are at salvation.)

I wonder how well we protect these new hearts we are given. Proverbs 4:23 says "Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life."

We are given a charge to protect our hearts, and keep them turned to the Lord. I wonder what happened to Saul's new heart. Was it a conscious decision to let his heart be turned away? We know he was a very vain and jealous man. (I Sam. 18:8) Maybe he turned his own heart away by not dealing with those issues.

What are the results of Saul’s not protecting his heart? Well, I Sam. 16:14 says the Spirit of the Lord left Saul, and an evil one troubled him. Also, in I Sam 28:7-25 Saul is asking favors from the witch of Endor. Talk about going downhill!

Finally, I Sam 31:4 says that Saul committed suicide by falling on his sword. When the Philistines found his body, they cut off his head, stole his armor, and showed it off in the house of their idols Then they fastened his body to the wall of Beth-shan.

So, not only had Saul fallen away from the Lord, he became a victory for Satan! His head became a trophy to the Philistines that their gods were more powerful than the God of Israel.

Have we become a trophy for the enemy? Are our hearts turned away from the Lord, or are we actively protecting and guarding them? I do not think myself better than Saul. My heart needs constant attention. How about yours?

Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

3 Comments:

  • WendyMom

    I wouldn't particularly recommend reading "Deep Thought Thursday" right after the post about the overuse of !!!!!!!! these. It's kinda tough to get the old mind wrapped around the spiritual end of things after that last one.. Hum.

    I praise God for the Holy Spirit that indwells me and helps me to keep my heart in line. I know that I am inclined to evil thoughts and ways, but the closer I stay to Him and His word, the easier it is to resist giving in.

    Thanks for the reminder.

    Love you-

  • Mary

    I was at my friends yesterady and we were trying to set up MSN so that we could have little chats on the computer without disturbing or distracting the rest of the home. The intention was honorable. We knew we would not abuse this technology. We did not intend to sit and talk to strangers or spend hours gossiping while the family looked after themselves. We were just taking opportunity of a resource - much like blogging.

    My point is coming.

    As we were navigating our way around (we are both a bit tech challenged) a pop up came screaming onto the screen. Flashing in front of us was some anatomy that we would have preferred to not see.

    We closed off as quickly as we could find the right key. My point is that it is so becomming increasingly more difficult to guard the heart. I do not want to have to say NO to technological advances. I am thankful for blogging and T.V and cinemas. However, those who would have us fall our invading just about every space available. So, what is the answer?

    By the way that was not a rhetorical question.I would love to hear your views. How about a blog (like a follow up).

    Continuing to enjoy your blog. See ya later!

  • JulieMom

    Thanks for the challenge Mary!

    I will come up with something and post it. Good idea. :0)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin