I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Deep Thought Thursday: Build Your Spiritual House

Proverbs 14:1, 3 "Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands. (3) In the mouth of fools is a rod of pride: but the lips of the wise shall preserve them."

Oh the struggle that has been in my house lately! It would seem a "catty" attitude has clamped itself tightly to my mouth. I have been snappy and selfish and just plain hard to live with. I've even been pretty sick of myself.

And there is no excuse. These verses say clearly that a wise woman builds her house. Bit by bit, moment by moment, my choice of words, tone, and attitude either build up or tear down my house. I need to remind myself that the little mouths that make seemingly endless requests of me also have little eyes and ears that absorb and tuck away my response.

If I want to build my house, then I need to respond in love with grace- remembering they depend on me because God has ordained it so. No matter how tired, busy, distracted, or feminine I may be at the time, I am always choosing to either build or tear down my house.

Verse three has been especially convicting. "The lips of the wise shall preserve them." My house will be a safe place if I can speak with wisdom. Where does wisdom live? In the Word of God that must be my daily food if I want the proper strength to build. Why do I think that I can survive without it?

God offers me the strength of His Word to keep the nuts and bolts of my house tight and safe so no one hits their head on a hanging board, or falls through a weak spot in the floor and gets hurt. I needed the reminder that only God's Word can shore up the flooring, and keeps things in place.

What about you? Have you been building lately?

3 Comments:

  • Brenda

    For me it isn't the catty attitude (try closing you mouth--how did that get in there? :) it's the laziness. I know all the things I need to do, but somehow they aren't getting done. I know it would make our whole family happier and our house run more smoothly if I would get committed to this homemaker stuff like it was a real job.

  • JulieMom

    Yes, I have been there. I decided to get up daily at 6AM, get dressed and tend to the 'business at hand' like a "real job".

    Then I decided not to.

    Because I can stay in my PJs all day and not get fired. But I don't do it often. ;0)

  • WendyMom

    My husband always says he can tell within 3 minutes of walking in the door at the end of the day what type of day we've had around here.

    Either things are peaceful and happy, or chaotic and grumpy. I have often been convicted about the fact that I'm the one who sets this tone-- sometimes that is totally hard- The worst days when YOU need the most, are usually the days when everyone else does too!

    Praise God, we can go to Him for our daily strength and needs! I would simply go crazy if I couldn't. And, my worst days are ALWAYS when I don't focus on God, first thing in the am, and when I don't pray for my family.

    Yeah, it's rough that it's all on us-- but God knew what He was doing when He gave us the task- and He even knew (dare I say it), about the feminine times. YIKES!

    I love you sister- I'll pray for you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin