I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Time All to Myself

As my head hit the pillow last night I had a dream....

I am sent away for a weekend alone at a hotel/spa. No cooking; I'll use room service. No cleaning; there's housekeeping. No one asking me to get this/do that/help me/make her stop. Just a nice, relaxing weekend with me and my favorite fiction book. Though I've brought my Bible too, of course. 'Cause I don't want any guilt on this stress-free weekend.

My time away starts off with an hour long pedicure, followed by a hot stone leg massage. This takes all morning, so when the massage is over I order lunch on the veranda and sip lemonade while I wait. I read from my favorite book for a few minutes before becoming distracted by the couple at the table next to me.

They're sitting close with their heads together, speaking softly to one another, and sharing intimate laughter. Immediately my mind drifts back to the Prince. At first it's just looking at his face in my memory, seeing him smile at me, wink. Then I begin to wonder how he's doing with the princesses. Are they having lunch? A good lunch? I begin to worry about them.

"Stop it." I tell myself forcefully. I clear my throat and go back to my book.

Not long after, my lunch arrives. I almost ask Snow White if she wants my pickle, but remember she's not with me. Nobody's with me. Except my now-boring book.

I rush through my lunch, barely tasting it. Then I go to the front desk and ask for an early check out. I just can't stay here. I miss my family. And as much as I try to convince myself otherwise, I need them to need me.

...When I wake up and see the Prince next to me, I breathe a contented sigh of relief, and watch him sleep for a while. Then I mentally prepare myself for a day of being needed.

3 Comments:

  • Janice

    Well, it is good to dream those things so you realize it is a nice thought, but not what the Lord has put in your heart!!

    Psalm 37:4 "Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

    by the way, I had to enter my comment FOUR TIMES before there was a security word I could type!!! :)

  • Victoria

    It's amazing how time to yourself looks great when you're listening to 3 different children requesting 3 different things all at the same time! But then, when you get that time, it's such a let down. It's great for a couple of hours, but beyond that...get me home.

  • WendyMom

    This is too true! I always fully enjoy my time away from the family, but for only about the first 2 hours- just long enough for a manicure and pedicure!

    I think God puts those feelings in our hearts for our families, because if we didn't have that over powering love- we might actually BURN OUT from all the giving, all the time!

    Love ya-

    Oh, and Janice-- you might be getting old... I'm just sayin'

Blog Widget by LinkWithin