I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Deep Thought Thursday: The Father of the Righteous

Proverbs 23:24 "The father of the righteous shall greatly rejoice: and he that begetteth a wise child shall have joy of him."


I may have mentioned before how much I love my Dad. Subtle hints here and there may have eluded to it somewhat.

I love my Dad not only because he is awesome and has been there for me COUNTLESS times, (those of you who know the wedding night call know that's true! Those of you who don't know-it's not your business.) but because he has given me a spiritual heritage. Sure, others came before him to lay a foundation in his life, but I am talking about the direct influence he was (and still is!) in my life.

The verse above talks about having a wise child. I have children of my own, and I am here to say that they don't come out of the womb wise. They are manipulators from the beginning and say and do many foolish things. Neither do they come out at all righteous. Quite the opposite in fact.

Therefore, it is the job of the Father to lead by example his children in the way of righteousness. My Father has been that example to me. He is the kind of person who influences not only in word, but in deed. He is generous to a fault, loving even when the other person is difficult, and patient- Oh he is patient! And he can explain things over and again several times in a quiet and peaceful voice without even a hint of frustration. He has allowed me to observe through his life what righteousness and wisdom are.

So I hope that I have given him reason to rejoice. And that he can obtain joy from my life. I know I am not perfect and have made many foolish mistakes, but the Lord continues to teach me. I pray I will pass on as great a legacy to my own children.

2 Comments:

  • Janice

    I love the picture!!

  • Summer in FL

    Oh how true! And how thankful I am that I married a wonderful God fearing man who has stepped up to be the example for our children. It's wonderful when two parents can unite and provide that example. My Dad did the same for me and I have so much respect for him. Now, having my own children, I know the walk myself. And most times, it's not an easy walk. But it is certainly a necessary one!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin