I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Deep Thought Thursday: Lure Their Flesh

Rom 7:18 "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not."

Did you know there are churches that get people in the door with car giveaways, free food, and raffle drawings? It sounds insane, and I didn't believe it either until I saw it on the internet. Churches are raffling away free gas, Houses, Harleys and Hummers. It may seem popular, and like really good advertising,

But-

Why would we want to appeal to people's fleshly desires to win things, or to eat, or to have something (material) they didn't have before just to get them to come to church? We then spend the next however many years struggling to get them to deny their flesh. It seems like a bit of a conflict.

I'm just sayin'.

I mean, how can we keep people satisfied with Biblical teaching if we lure them into the church by following their flesh? The church then has to keep coming up with bigger and better things to draw in the crowds, and sometimes goes bankrupt in the process. Monetarily and spiritually.

Why don't we just live our lives in such a way that people are attracted to the Jesus in us? Then it's easy to get them to stay for Biblical preaching, to listen when we tell them to deny their flesh, because that's what they've seen in us. It's not getting them all hyped up on, well, hype, and then losing their interest because we're not cool enough. Plus, it's free.

We shouldn't want to fill our churches with people who are just there for the food. Or with people who came to see if they won the 4X4. Or the house. And then have throngs of people bitter against the church because they didn't win!

The job of the church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ who will teach others also. What does this kind of 'advertising' teach?

What do you think?

3 Comments:

  • Brenda

    Are you suggesting....FRUGAL EVANGELISM???

    Is that a new term I just made up??

    Oh, sorry. We are supposed to be deep on Thursdays. Yes, I agree with you. In fact, I believe that most of the church's efforts to be relevant and attractive are misguided. It happens with people in our real lives...through relationships. I agree with you.

  • buddahwhooo

    i agree. by the way, you guys won the drawing for a years worth of free airfare, but since you werent here to get it we gave it to the ups guy.

    Brother in law

  • Summer in FL

    Amen!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin