I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, March 28, 2008

Freaky Foodie Friday

I have been a little busy this week (as you can tell from the drop off in posting frequency) so I have decided today I will take you on a little tour of some South African delicacies instead of posting a recipe of my own.

If you're eating at the moment, I would recommend you stop. Like, yesterday. Don't even think of food. This may get a bit, well, gastronomically "iffy".

Mopani Worms: The traditional method of preserving mopane worms is to dry them in the sun or smoke them, giving additional flavour. Dried mopane worms can be eaten raw as a crisp snack, although in Botswana people tend not to eat the head. **No comment**


Chicken Feet: The majority of the edible meat on the feet consist of skin and tendons, without much muscle. Being mostly cartilage, chicken feet are also very gelatinous. **MMMMmmmm. *wretch**


Boerwoers: Comes from the Afrikaans words boer ("farmer") and wors ("sausage"). Good boerewors always contains a reasonable proportion of fat. There is no such thing as "light boerewors". **Don't be tempted to say 'that doesn't look so bad', because all the white flecks are bits of fat you choke on. Remember that.**


Biltong: is a kind of dried meat that originated in South Africa. It is typically made from raw fillets of meat cut into strips following the grain of the muscle, or flat pieces sliced across the grain. **If memory serves me right, 'biltong' is Afrikaans for 'nasty'** (well it should be)


If you'll notice, I've taken the liberty of making each food item a handy link, just in case something strikes your fancy and you'd like to make a purchase. Whether it's because you're feeling brave and want to try something new, or you just NEED to get back at someone and feel one of these might be an appropriate gift, you should have no problem finding just the right fit.

BON APPETIT!!

3 Comments:

  • Victoria

    Mopani worms - I've been looking for a way to preserve them. And, ADDITIONAL flavor - bonus!

  • WendyMom

    Why, oh why, didn't I heed the warning to walk away from this post if I was eating?!?!

    Thanks for the help to resist food temptation- the next time I think I want to binge on something, I'm going to sit right down in front of this post and focus on it hard!

    And I thought the stuff my hubby had to eat in Asia was bad....

  • Mr. Young

    WOW! That stuff would be great for my HBS. We try and eat some weird food every week, but I can't hold a candle to this stuff. We has curry goat last time, and tonight we will try...oh no I didn't pick out a weird food yet...send me some Mopani worms quick!

    PS - Bro. Anderson told me that it was the worst tast he's ever has. He said this comparing it to my HBS treat that week which was anchovy bruchetta...mmmmmm...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin