I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, March 21, 2008

Foodie Friday


Today we are going to tackle that trickiest of all breakfast foods: Pancakes. Now, there are many recipes out there that promise golden fluffy pancakes. Rubbish I say! I have tried many recipes only to be sorely disappointed. I have, however, created my own version of pancakes and actually measured things out this time. I usually just dump stuff in a bowl until it looks right. But now we have a recipe!! Today I bring you:

JulieMom's Fluffy Golden Pancakes
4C Flour
1/4 C Sugar
2 T Baking Powder
1/2 C Vegetable oil
1 Egg
3 C Milk
Various and sundry mix-ins which we'll get to later.

1. Preheat your skillet over med-high heat. Walk away.
2. Fix yourself a nice hot cup of chai and take a sip.
3. Grab a large bowl and measure everything except the milk into it.

4. Stir it up a bit.
5. Add milk and mix well, leaving smaller lumps alone. They won't bother you. The batter should be thick, but run easily off your whisk. See?

6. Using your 1/3 C measure, fill it almost full and pour batter into skillet. Put as many as you can without them touching. My skillet holds four.

7. Now it's time to revisit those mix-ins I said we'd get to. At this point, while the top of your pancakes are still wet, you can sprinkle them with stuff. For example, chocolate chips, OR cooked sausage bits, OR scrambled egg bits, OR some kind of delicious nut bits like pecans. But NOT all of them at once. Are you mad? Ew. Then take another sip of your tea while you wait.
8. Let them cook until the top is bubbly and the edges look a bit dry. Like this picture that is blurred by steam.

9. Flip them over and let them cook thirty more seconds. (or until they are brown)
10. Eat hot and top with yummies of your choice. Some examples are: Peanut butter, OR sliced bananas and honey, OR sliced peaches, OR Apples and cinnamon, OR your traditional syrup and butter.

11. Place remaining pancakes in a Ziploc bag and store in the freezer. Warm them up in the microwave.
Now reheat your tea in the microwave and enjoy your breakfast!!

6 Comments:

  • Kristen

    Sounds yummy -- but I have a helpful hint. Most pancakes can be reheated by popping them into the toaster. :)

  • Brenda

    I know they are delicious. But that black part? My kids would never even touch them. They told everyone in the family while we were out of town how mommy burns the bottom of the cinnamon rolls.

    Little liars.

    I love the idea of bananas on top! Never thought of that. My dad always just puts food coloring in.

  • WendyMom

    I'm with you, Brenda, my kids would scream and run if their pancakes were black! I usually just use the Krustease pancake mix- buy it in the gigantor size bag from Sam's- just add water.

    My favorite grown up pancake is to add some almond extract to the batter along with some chopped up orange flavored cranberries, and some chopped up toasted pecans. They are soooo good! Try it!

  • JulieMom

    Well, I just have to say that there ARE NO BLACK PARTS. It just must be the way the sun is shining on them.

    Or something.

    Certainly dark brown is 'IN' for pancakes this fall...

    Isn't dark brown the new black?

  • WendyMom

    Dark brown is the new black for sure!!

    You KNOW I didn't mean to make you think your pancakes were overdone- at all. The chocolate cake was real good too.... cough, cough!

    I love ya'- just a little good natured teasing for you! Did you get my email about N and skype?

  • Rhonda

    Hi Julie!

    I don't know if you remember me. My name is Rhonda Arias, missionary to Chile. We met several years ago in Milton FL.
    We still have your prayer card and are so glad to see that you are on the field!
    I found your blog through a friend that works with the deaf in Ensenada, MX.
    God bless!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin