I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Deep Thought Thursday: Christian Love

John 17:20-21 "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; (21) That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me."

Here Jesus had been praying for those who already believed in Him (vs.6-19), that God would strengthen them, keep them from evil, and sanctify them through the truth of His Word. Then His prayer changes focus and He prays for those which shall believe. That's you and me! He prays to the Father that we will be one, so that the world will believe Jesus was sent from God.

Now I wonder, how are we doing with that? No, really think about it. So many times I see Christians who can't get along because of petty differences, much like the Hatfield and McCoys. No one remembers what the spat was about in the first place, just that the other person is the problem. This is not how Jesus wants His church to relate to one another.

He wants our relationships to be like His relationship with His Father. Verse 23 goes on to say "I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me."

Does the world know Jesus loves them from the way we relate to each other? Or are we too busy worrying about silly things to bother telling them? Too many of us spend the majority of our time picking another person apart because they don't attend the same denomination, or because their style of worship is not the same, or maybe they dress a little differently than we are comfortable with.

I think this fighting grieves Jesus. If the world is to know the perfect love of Christ, then ought we not to love one another? If we are concerned by another's choices, no matter what they may be, why don't we pray for them? If God wants to change them, He will! All this fighting does not reflect well on the Lord we claim to follow.

And we must remember that there are different cultures with different traditions. Many Americans are very concerned about looking right and acting right, but not really being right in their hearts. There is not a lot of grace or love shown to people who are different from us, but still saved by the same blood that was shed on Calvary. What is a Christian supposed to look like anyway?

Ah, yes. I remember now:

John 13:35 "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

1 Comments:

  • WendyMom

    Too true.

    I imagine it grieves the Lord mightily when we focus so much on outward appearances, and when we let petty differences separate us. Yeah, Jesus was pretty tough on the Sadducees and Pharisees for just those types of things.

    Thanks for the reminder to keep our eyes on Jesus!

    "Great pace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them." Psalm 119: 165

Blog Widget by LinkWithin