I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Is Being A Wife and Mom Enough?

Is being a wife and mom enough? Many times I believe we don't think so. We, as women, believe we can always be doing "more". We are nurturers by nature, and when someone (ministry or otherwise) presents a need, we feel compelled by our very natures to involve ourselves and help.

The problem is that God doesn't want us personally to do everything.

If we are truly called to school our children ourselves, make our home a retreat for our husbands, a place our children want to be, a place full of warmth, memories, and the love of Christ, wouldn't it stand to reason that we actually have to be there?

I find myself pulled in so many directions with opportunities for ministry presented. Many things sound good to me, and would potentially help other women, or children. So I add one. Then another. And another.

Before you know it I've traded my secular career for a spiritual one.

What do I mean? Well, when asked "So, what ministries are you involved in?" I feel compelled to whip out my spiritual resume and run through the laundry list of things I do for the Lord.

Why can't it be enough for me to say "I am focusing right now on training my children to love and serve others for the honor and glory of Christ. It really takes up all my time, and it is so rewarding. It's such a joy to see God working in their lives."

Training my children to love and serve others requires time, and action. We can make a meal for someone together, pray for others who are sick or hurt, have fellowship with families from our church in our home so they learn hospitality, or make cards to encourage others. I also must take time to make sure they're reading their Bibles and that they know they can confide in me when they need to. Not to mention train them (my girls) to run a home of their own someday, which includes proper cleaning and cooking, etc.

That level of involvement on my part teaches them a lot more than them watching me run out the door to go minister somewhere else.

After all, my goal as a Mom is to equip them to be adults that love and serve others through Christ-likeness: not to perpetuate busy-ness.

Tit 2:4-5 "That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, (5) To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."

I think that looks like all the ministry I need for now.

5 Comments:

  • Anonymous

    Ouch! This one really hit home.
    Darline

  • WendyMom

    Oh, hallelujah!! Finally, someone puts it into words!!

    Why are we SO BUSY ministering to everyone else, and our family and husband get the scraps? Why isn't it enough, even in our churches and christian culture?

    We must foster the value of motherhood and womanhood- one person at a time. It may take years to change the attitudes, and we may never see here on earth the fruits of lives changed, but God is pleased with it I know.

    AMEN AND AMEN!

  • Victoria

    AMEN!!!! I used to feel so bad for not being able to do all those "outside" ministries until my HUSBAND told me that this was not the time in my life for that. There will be a season in which I can do those things. Now, my focus needs to be my children and home.
    Thanks for this post - a great encouragement.

  • Brenda

    Oh I've been there--totally traded my secular career for a spiritual one. (and it didn't pay very well). I cannot even let myself think about the hours I spend on the computer with my back to my babies and husband--working on very important ministry stuff.
    It's a lie that we MUST use all of our talents for the Lord at all times. You have said exactly what we need to be focusing on. If the kids can help with what you are doing--great.

  • Joni

    I struggle with this myself because I want so much to help other people and to have a bond with the teens like Daniel does. I know in my head that my husband, my children and my home are to be my top priorities, but I'm having a hard time putting it into practice...maybe that's PART of what's causing my anxiety...hmmmm..once again...thank you for the great reminder.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin