I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Deep Thought Thursday: Lying is an Abomination

Have you told a lie? Are you a perpetual liar? I was.

Sunday morning, our Sunday School lesson was about Ananias and Sapphira. They were a married couple in the baby church of the New Testament. Their story is found in Acts 5:1-11, and let me tell you- it's a good warning to us all. They lied to Peter about the price of some land they sold, AND GOD SMOTE THEM DEAD.

I don't know why people do this, probably just boils down to human nature, and wanting to feel like someone else has done worse things than us, but why do we 'grade' sin? I mean, why are murder, abortion, drug addiction, prostitution, having an affair, and things of that nature 'graded' to be worse than lying?


Lying is an abomination to the Lord. (Proverbs 6:16-19)

I know how bad lying is, because I used to be a perpetual liar. I say perpetual, because you can't just tell one lie and be done with it. Righteous people (who I was surrounded by before coming to know the Lord) always want to get to the bottom of things, so they ask questions. Lots of questions. Thus, the perpetual lying.

But I will tell you right now that lying is no small thing. While other sins like addiction, lust, and murder are visible to others, I submit to you that lying is even more dangerous, because it remains hidden in your heart. If you are any good at it, then you are seriously damaging your spirit by lying.

It is not something I take lightly now. I can remember before the Lord saved me, that I would flippantly promise to do something for another person, or promise to be somewhere, and not do it. Then when they called me on it, I would make up this huge story instead of telling the truth.

And you know what that did? It made me feel powerful. That person was tricked by me, and I must be smarter than them. Better than them. Maybe I could get away with that again. So I would do it again. And you know what? Rare were the times I was even questioned.

But I must say this bred in my heart a desire to be deceitful. As a teen, a friend and I would help clean one of our older teacher's homes. She was a woman who LOVED cats, but not cleaning, and her house was disgusting. Since I already had a habit of lying, I thought it was fine for me to steal money I found in her dresser, or under the bed while cleaning. After all, I was working hard, and she was gross. The lying bred the desire in me to deceive people all the more under the guise of my being 'better' than them, because I never got caught. See how self-deceived I was?

I encourage you to examine yourself and repent of lying if necessary. And please, when you catch your children lying, make a big deal out of it. Make sure they will think twice before they do something like that again. If you act like it's nothing, I can guarantee they will start to feel superior to you in their hearts. And it will lead to more deceit. That is a dangerous thing that could hinder their coming to the Lord.

Think about it.

4 Comments:

  • WendyMom

    WOW. and AMEN!

    I truly enjoy deep thought Thursday on your blog-- it always gives me something to think about.

    Lying is such a pervasive part of the human experience- I think many people do it without even realizing. I know since I've been saved, that as soon as a lie is escaping my lips, the Lord smites my spirit- and I KNOW I have to make it right. Thankfully, this has happened less and less over the years, but it is always humbling and provokes me to self examination.

    Why did it happen? Am I far from God? Or just trying to escape an uncomfortable situation? Have I allowed myself to get lazy in my personal relationships? Do I need to re-examine myself in some way?

    Thank you for this post- as your friend I know it was hard for you to admit this to the "blogosphere", but God can and will use it to bless others.

    I love you so much and miss you a ton!

  • Brenda

    Julie that is so true and I never even thought about lying making you feel better than people.

    I guess that's because I was never really good at it. No poker face here.

    But I can see how that would work and you are right--we must deal with that sin in our children instead of just saying that all kids do it.

  • Brenda

    Also, I hope that teacher with the cats doesn't have internet access.

  • Joni

    That's the first I've heard of this stealing thing...wow. But, thank the Lord for His grace and mercy. I'm just surprised...I already knew you were a liar;) Sorry. Again, I find that Brenda and I have something in common...I, too, have always been a terrible liar. What a great reminder of our human nature and how it's not something we have to teach our children. Instead, we have to teach them about truth. Thanks again, Jules!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin