I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Deep Thought Thursday: Love Casteth Out Fear

It's Valentine's Day!! And yes, I am 31 now. Ok, enough about that.

For today I though it would be pertinent to talk about the perfect love of Christ.

1John 4:18 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love."

Perfect love is only from the Father, the Lord Jesus Christ. He has shown this love to us in that He was willing to die for our sins, and provide us with eternal life, and a relationship like that of a Father with a daughter.

Fear is torment. Think of things that make you afraid. It affects you physically: your heart beats faster, your mind races with the possibilities of what could happen, your breathing speeds up, and you could even develop ulcers. That is definitely torment. And that is not the way Christ wants us to live.

He wants us to know our fears have been overcome. He has given us perfect love, and through this love our fears can be cast out:

Our fear of eternal death- Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
*If we have indeed trusted Christ for salvation, we should have no fear of death, because He has promised eternal life.

Our fear of pain in this life- Joh 16:33 "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."
*Though Christ promises tribulation, He has also promised His peace, and reminds us He has overcome this world: meaning all things in it. Including sin. So no matter what you are faced with, His peace comes with it.

Our fear of ridicule- Psa 27:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
*Maybe your family isn't saved, or you work with people who don't know the Lord, or God has been convicting you to witness to your neighbor about Him, but you're scared. Scared of what, you don't always know, but there's a fear Satan puts in your heart to make you be quiet. This verse reminds us that Christ is bigger than any person, or thing. He is our strength. How can we go wrong?

Our fear of things we cannot see-Rom 8:38 "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
*Especially as women, we tend to fear things we cannot see. All the things in this verse are things we cannot see. I know when I am alone at night, I am afraid sometimes. But this verse reminds me that nothing can separate me from Christ's love. He is always with me, I only need to reach out and grab onto Him.

Our fear of our past- II Cor. 5:17 "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."
*Maybe in your life before you met Christ you were a really bad person. Maybe your former sins go beyond lying or negative thoughts, things people can't see. Maybe you have sexual baggage, or maybe you had addictions, or were a thief. Satan loves to use those things to torment you and try to discourage you. But you are new in Christ! He has changed everything about you. You are a daughter of the King of kings! Beloved! Nurtured! Cared for!

Don’t let anything make you unsure, or forgetful of this love.

Happy Valentine’s Day.

6 Comments:

  • Anonymous

    Thanks for the reminder of the promises that God has given us as His children. I praise God for His love and making me a new creature. I am also thankful that He gave me you too.

    Happy Birthday

    Darline

  • jen

    Happy Birthday, Julie!!!!

    Now, since anyone with kids is automatically a decade older than I am, that makes me now 21!!! Or you 45. You pick :)

    thanks for the thoughts on love vs. fear.

  • Janice

    Happy Birthday Girlie!! Many more to come!

    Love you and miss you too!

  • Anonymous

    Happy Valentines Day and Happy Birthday!
    I got your note and smiled. You know I am not computer friendly. I am going to work on it:)
    I love your blog.

    Jill

  • Brenda

    Happy Birthday!!!! You are a youngster!

    What a "love"ly day to be born.

    Sorry. Couldn't contain it.

  • Anonymous

    Happy Birthday, Julie!!!

    It's not the same not being able to call you on your birthday, but I'll survive...somehow. We had no school on Valentine's Day because of the 2" of snow!!! Can you believe it??!! My kids played in the snow for the first time.
    Anyway, I can't tell you how thankful I am for God's love in spite of who I am and what I do or have done. I always "know" it, but a little reminder never hurt anyone. Thanks for the encouragement!!

    Love,

    Joni

Blog Widget by LinkWithin