I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Deep Thought Thursday: A Face to Match My Heart


They say you can't judge a book by it's cover. Neither can you a person. I mean, what you see on the outside is not always a reflection of what is inside. Am I right? We are masters at hiding our flaws. It is an art form for women.

I have often wished that God would allow our outside to match our inside. Why? Well, if someone had a wicked heart (which we all do; please don't misunderstand) and wicked intentions, and you could tell they were wicked because of an evil face, then you could avoid dealings with that person and save yourself a lot of trouble. Let me 'splain.

How many times have you known a person who is completely presentable, perhaps even beautiful, (in other words: well put-together) developed a relationship or friendship with them, only to be let down when they've used you and tossed you aside?

If the person's face was as ugly as the intentions of their heart, you could have been spared.

So, I was reminded of verses in James (1:23-24) "For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: (24) For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was."

Now, if we all had faces to match the wicked intentions of our hearts, it would be quite hard to just walk away and not remember what kind of person we are. And everyone else would know what was in our hearts, by our face.

For every evil thought, bad word, or bad deed, another wrinkle would pop up on your face. Or a hairy mole, or a scar, dark circles, drawn mouth, pimples, dry skin or any other thing as repulsive as sin.

It would surely give me more incentive to make sure my heart stayed right. Especially if everyone else could know, in one glance, that it wasn't.

By the same token, a heart that had pure motives, was right in it's relationship to God, and had love for others would create a face that is bright, beautiful, intensely light and innocent.

I must say, if I'm being honest, most days I am glad my face doesn't match my heart.

Especially, you know, around the femininity.

Word.

5 Comments:

  • WendyMom

    Um hum, and no doubt about how much of my monthly budget would have to go for ski masks and surgical interventions.

    It's amazing to think about what God actually sees when He looks at us-

    "But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature: because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart" -I Samuel 16:7

    I cringe at times to think of all the things He sees every day, that no-one else sees. How filthy it must appear to Him! But, PRAISE GOD for His loving-kindness and mercies towards us- that we can be viewed through the blood of Jesus and seen as righteousness to God.

    It's my hope and strength every day!

    Thanks for this thought provoking post- I'm using it as my meditation today.

    Love you so much, and miss you tons--

  • Victoria

    Good thought. I'd probably be a hideous looking monster. Why is it that I care more about what man thinks than what God thinks? Oh, we say we care, but do my actions show it? Thanks, Julie. I missed church last night, but got my sermon this morning!

  • Janice

    My thought on the whole femininity thing... it gives me the courage to say what I might not normally say, even though I think it the other 26 days of the month. And if that is what prompted this post, preach on girl, because we all need to hear it! You and your sweet self (inside AND out!) might otherwise be too nice to do so! ^.~ Love you friend, and what a preacher you are!

  • Megan

    HEY Julie - yes we went to HS together- ah, band and yearbook - good times. I also remember that trip to DC, and I do have some pics of you that I could post online if you were disappointed that pic in front of the White House wasn't you. Just kidding.

    WOW that you live in S Africa, home school your darling girls and teach deaf children about Jesus. Bless your heart! Is your husband starting a new church there? We will keep you in our prayers!

    Thanks for dropping by our site. Todd is so curious how you found it?

    I'll be sure to keep checking in on your blog to see how you're doing. All the best, Megan

  • Michelle

    Lord help us all! Do you know the story of Dorian Grey? Kind of the same idea . . .

Blog Widget by LinkWithin