I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Look Out!! The Americans Are Driving Again!!!

So THE! DRIVING! has begun. It's always something, isn't it? My-oh-my-goodness-gracious, you better thank the Good Lord above you don't live anywhere near us right now. Remember our new nice car with the steering wheel on the wrong side?

It's from the Devil himself.

It laughs at me when I drive it.

And then it stalls. Repeatedly.

So, I am praying for God to give me super driving powers. Hey, it could happen. He is the God of miracles, right? And the reason for the lack of driving ability? Yeah, it's because the car is a standard, and I only had one lesson back in the States.

And I still stink at it. Let me illustrate:

Yesterday we went out about town to learn our way around. It's Uncle Chris' version of tough love. And it forced us to depend on the map, our sense of direction, and of course the Lord, instead of him.

It's a nice thought in theory, but in reality- it's just plain mean. ;0)

So, back to the story. (I'm still getting over jet lag remember?) We were cruising around town, scaring the Africans left and right, and we decided to ask Uncle Chris some questions. So we show up at his house, and we chat in the driveway for a while. Meanwhile, I make the slight suggestion that perhaps I am a better driver than The Prince.

So you know what happened, right? Right! I get to prove my mad driving skillz right in front of them. And what do I do? Promptly stall the car.

TWICE!!

And the other missionaries? Laughing their heads off. Some team we have going here. At least I can take comfort in the fact that they were the only ones watching. I think.

I guess that would be the biggest prayer request right now. That the Prince and I learn to drive our royal Honda with smoothness and confidence.

Whew! I am sweating just thinking about it. This too shall pass, and I will look back and say how silly it was. But for now? Doesn't feel so silly. It makes me twitch, actually.

Thank you to all of you for your kind comments, and all the prayers. We love you, and know the Lord is at work here. You are a blessing. Give us a couple weeks before we can reply to individual emails. We need housing first. We use the internet at a local cafe, and our time will run out today. I don't know when I'll post again. Keep praying, I know the Lord is hearing!!

5 Comments:

  • Janice

    My oh my girl! We did our best, but what can you do!? Funny story... when I got my van back after driving the standard for those few days, I about threw them ALL through the window when I slammed the brake thinking I was clutching!!! It takes a while to get anything steady...! LOVE the pic's, and I know you are going to have a beautiful new home... God takes care of his own!

  • Wendymom

    Yeee-haw!! Nothing like putting the fear of death into people and then asking them for sure if they died today, would they go to heaven!!?!?

    Let's just look at this as an evangelism tool, and remember that "this too shall pass".

    Praying for your housing, driving, kids to adjust and all your needs.

    Oh yeah, and mad missing you too!

  • Toma

    Think always of the positive. Your left leg muscle will get huge from using the clutch. (haha) Miss you. - Kim

  • Brenda

    Well, I can't drive a standard either. But I was all impressed with you---because I saw you cross off "Learn to drive a standard" on your to do list in your sidebar before you left.

    Um, one lesson? Are you SURE that constitutes crossing it off???? :):):)

    And Wendymom is exactly right--it's an evangelism tool!

  • Michelle

    bless you, and bless all those dear africans . . .
    !!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin