I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

I know the truth of this verse.

Being away from the Prince this week has been very difficult. It's not often that we are separated. We have spent the last three or so years together in the van, and when we're apart, it's very hard. For me anyway.

Because I have a really good imagination.

I have read way too many horror novels as a young teen (which I regret immensely and would recommend that if your kids are reading that stuff that you make them stop posthaste before it damages them spiritually.) and the darkness in the house at night is NOT my friend.

But in these times when I am alone, I am so thankful that God chooses to draw me closer to Him. I depend more on Him when I am alone than when the Prince is with me. Not that I think the Prince can protect me better than God can, but his physical presence is such a comfort.

I am learning, however, to put my dependence in God. Because He is the only One who truly knows my need. And since I have been contemplating THE! MOVE!, I have come to the conclusion that the only choice I have is to surrender to whatever His plan would include, no matter how much I may dislike it.

Even if it includes the Death Angel in a black robe with a sickle hiding in my closet waiting to cut off my head when I am asleep, or those little things that come out in your room at night and stab body parts that stick out of the covers. You know which ones I mean.

See, I told you I have a really good imagination.

When I started this post I really thought it was going to be all warm and fuzzy and touching. Yeah, guess I just don't have it in me.

So, how do you deal with spouse separation?

6 Comments:

  • Victoria

    Praise the Lord, we don't have too many times, anymore, when we have to be apart. But, when we are, I stay up all hours and sleep with the lights on!!!

    The up-side is, when the kids go to bed, I have a lot of time to just have a REAL quiet time with the Lord!

    Praying!

  • Megan (FriedOkra)

    For short separations I try to focus on the "luxuries" of being alone - like parking in the middle of the garage and sleeping in the middle of the bed. Long separations like we had two years ago, I just gritted my teeth and bore it, knowing it wasn't permanent and that it was for the best for all of us whether it felt like torture or not.

  • Summer in FL

    My hubby is gone 15 to 19 days out of the month. I just try to use the time after my kids are in bed, to spend time with the Lord, scrapbook, pay bills -- you know, all those fun things :-) Sleeping alone is hard, though.

  • Brenda

    I turn the light off and then run and JUMP on the bed before anything can grab my ankles!!!!

    Only kidding--but I do get creeped out knowing I am the ONLY adult in the house. I completely understand.

  • Wendymom

    Oh darlin'--I'm right upstairs if you need me--- you know I know what it's like! I am such a baby that I have to get people to come over in the evening and stay over night at my house when my hubby is away!

    You know it is truly the most awesome time of closeness to God, because with the men away, you really DO need to hold onto God more than ever. I think God blesses us with an assurance and peace when the hubby is around as a picture of His love and peace for us. But, being women, it's not as easy to "feel" it when their away.

    Unfortunately for you, I read many of the same books, so I could come down and help, but then there would be 2 crazy afraid women in the basement!!! Truth though-- anyone out there letting your kids read that junk-- BEWARE!! It took me many years to get over the images in my mind from horror books and movies, and like Julie says, it can damage you spiritually and the devil loves to use it at opportune times!

    I love you sister, and will pray for you more than ever!

  • Missy

    soflhyAs you know I only get to see my hubby for 5-7 days every 3-5 weeks. And just like you we homeschool so the kids and I are TOGETHER ever minute of the day and night. Most times I love that part but others drastically call for duck tape and an old fashioned 'Calgon...take me away" bath complete with headphones. girls got too adapt at humming and mumbling through the tape. Just kidding! But dealing with hubby gone at night is the hardest. I have 8 pillows on the bed and kids go to bed earlier than most counterparts so I can have brief alone time. Either I curl up with a good book or usually get some housework done. Best of all I have a friend thats calls every couple of nights and we talk each other out of the fridge and out of the kitchen.
    When it gets really bad i just remember that it won't be forever and God has a reason for the seperation, we just need to open our hearts and minds to listen for his plan for us. I wish I was a little better at the patience part! :0)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin