I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Monk and Neagle- A Review (My Personal Opinion Anyway)




Well.

Let me start by saying that I know that many people have varied opinions about music. I would say that one thing I like about this CD is the 'unplugged' feeling of it. I like the acoustic sound of a guitar, and that there aren't drums or heavy electric guitar hammering into my brain.

Not that I hate drums or electric guitar. Oh no. I do love me some Casting Crowns, and Steven Curtis Chapman, and various others who use those instruments.

I like the harmonies these two create. I think it's awesome. But after a while, some of the songs sound the same. I DO think they are very talented. Very pleasant on the ears, but this is my opinion. You are allowed to disagree.

The songs that are about the Lord on this CD are great. The words in 'The Twenty-First Time' are very powerful and thought-provoking. And the attitude of worship in 'Hallelujah Jesus' is SO GOOD. I could listen to that song over and over and over! (And I have.)

In 'Stars Would Fall' and 'Beautiful You', the guitar squeaks bugged me. Also, I wasn't sure if they were love songs to their wives, or about the Lord. Which brings me to the other issue I have with this CD.

If it is marketed as a Christian CD, then I would expect that the majority of the songs would be about Christ. Or my relationship with Christ. Or my walk in Christ. But at least half of the songs (that I can tell) were written as ballads to their wives. While that is absolutely so sweet and wonderful, I want to sing about Jesus.

Don't get me wrong- the love songs are nice, some beautiful. But for me, they're like filler. I listen to them while waiting to get to the good stuff, the worship music (read:the reason why I buy a Christian CD).

One or two love songs would be enough. This CD boasts five that I can count. And one song about soldiers. (It's a good song.) Which leaves only four songs out of eleven that are directly about Jesus. I need more than that.

So, my overall opinion? I am definitely putting the songs about Jesus into my iTunes, as they are awesome. But the rest of them will stay on the CD which I will pass on.

I hope this review doesn't seem, too harsh. I REALLY DO like their sound. They are definitely talented. I'd just like to see more songs about how the Lord has worked in, and changed, their lives.

0 Comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin