I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Deep Thought Thursday: What We Say

I have been reading some blogs recently, as I am wont to do from time to time, and I have come across several that have, well, bothered me. I think it's great to have a blog, and share your opinion of the world, or family life, or what have you.

I do not think it is ok to name the name of Christ, and then use swear words to make a point about how the world has no morals.

Seems a bit contradictory, doesn't it?

I mean, we, as followers of Christ, have an obligation to speak out when we see things in the world that are not honoring to Christ. But we also have the obligation to do so in a manner that is pleasing to God, and truly representative of His name.

We cannot portray ourselves as fully-devoted followers wanting to save the world from Hell, and then let one issue, or one person so upset us that we tarnish the reputation of Christ through our language choices. There is really no place for swearing in any circumstance. Seriously.

We are to act with grace and humility at all times. If the point you're making is a strong and valid point, then you don't need to use swear words to make your argument seem more effective. And you don't need to use language that is degrading, or just plain mean-spirited. Or vulgar.

That is not to say Christians are not to speak with passion and conviction. We should stand for what we believe in with no apology.

But don't speak about issues of the world with more passion than you are sharing the Word of God. Be just as passionate about the Truth of the Gospel as you are against abortion, or gay rights, or whatever the issue is.

Think of the One whom you represent. Jesus is holy and righteous. He reproved those who would stand against Him with conviction, integrity, self-control, and Scripture. His ways were Biblical, because He is our perfect example.

So, let's think before we speak, remember Whom we represent, and live lives that will bring no shame to us, or send our kids (or the world for that matter) a mixed message.

Isn't is the least we can do?

4 Comments:

  • Summer in FL

    I completely agree. I ran across the same thing today and thought the same thing you just said. How can this person just write a whole post about how wrong abortion or whatever the issue is, all in the name of Christ and then swear? It just baffles me, really! Thanks for saying something.

  • WendyMom

    As one who lived a whole 25 years of life before becoming saved, I can say that I can understand the struggle with language. In my home growing up, swear words were commonly used as adjectives, adverbs and conjunctions! It is woven into the fabric...if you know what I mean.

    All that said, I absolutely agree with you. As a new creature in Christ who is to be God-honoring and fearing, those words have no place. I can say that the times when I am farthest from God are when I seem to struggle more with that particular sin.

    Thank you for the convicting (gulp) reminder and admonition. Whenever I need a refresher on this, I'm coming right back to this post!

  • Ruth

    love u julie mom!

    i like it when you roar!!!!

  • Missy

    Couldn't have said it better myself!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin