I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Where I Am Right Now

I am sitting in the parking lot of the 'muni-meter' in NYC on Steinway Street. The Prince is out looking for socks for his father. He is a hard-to-fit kind of guy because his feet are really swollen with Parkinson's Disease.

I can just tell you after about five seconds of walking with three small children down the BUSY sidewalk, I kind of grumped my way into being allowed to sit in the van. And I had just happened to bring my laptop. And there just so happens to be a wireless unsecured network in the neighborhood. Hallelujah for small blessings.

I saw a man down the street, A MAN, with long fake maroon fingernails, and a glittery do-rag on his head. I also saw many a mother with small child in stroller looking like they wished they were home twenty minutes ago. I also see many MANY women (young and old) with midriff-baring clothing. It is never a good look. Not even on Twiggy.

My children, however, were oblivious to all those things. They were just happy to be out in the sunshine holding hands with Mom and Dad. I, however, was scared and am now happy to be back in the confines of the Marshmallow van.

Of course we are parked across the street from the Victoria's Secret store. With half naked women in the window. Real and mannequins.

More people walk by, and I wonder where they are going. Some are reading books, many are listening to iPods, and others are walking as a couple: holding hands and laughing at some secret joke.

My children's talk fades in and out of my hearing. They are making up a story about something or other, and I laugh when I hear the accents. (British mostly) My window is halfway down, and I hear neighborhood children scream and chase each other.

Smells waft in and out too. Corner cooks serving souvlaki and hot dogs, the Haagen-Dazs store across the street send sweet offerings to my nose. Cigarettes are an overpowering smell, as is gasoline.

I do wonder how people survive, and even thrive here. Too much for my senses.

Oh, to be back home in my snug little place. Well, I am sure a week will go by fast enough.

0 Comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin