I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Oh You Foolish Rich People!

I know this detracts from the whole on-going NYC theme, but I had to post this.

I HAD TO.

I am not a news-reading-type-person, per se, but I am a nosey-type person. I am an AOL e-mail user, and while I was signing into my account, one of the "news" items they advertise caught my eye. Of course it was hard core news, something everyone will be talking about in the next few days I’m sure, and I just wanted to acquaint myself with it so I could speak articulately about it should it arise in conversation.

The topic was extravagant homes of the sickeningly wealthy.

As I read the article, I thought to myself "Surely there is a better use for this money." I really did think that! And although I know these people have worked hard for their money, and "deserve" to treat themselves, why not just go to McDonald's? (Remember 'You deserve a break today'?) Isn't McDonald's everywhere in the world? That seems like a much better use of finances than a billion, yes, I said A BILLION DOLLAR HOME. At least with a McDonald's run they would be providing nourishment for their family, and fulfilling that provider instinct that drove them to make all the money in the first place.

Oh, and if you're going to build a BILLION DOLLAR HOME, how about making it look a little less like something out of a bad futuristic novel, and more like, I don't know, the money was worth it?

I am not ranting about this because I am jealous. I am perfectly satisfied with what God has provided for my family. He has been more than generous to me, and for that I am extremely grateful.

I am just annoyed that very rich people are foolish.

How many stories do we hear about people who win the lottery, sometimes MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AT ONCE, only to be bankrupt in a few short years? It's not uncommon. But why, I say, WHY does it happen?

Because having lots of money drops your IQ by about 100 points.

Suddenly people think that it's ok to fill their bathtubs with expensive imported bottled water. Not just once for the fun of it, but every time they bathe.

And they buy small towns because, well, they can. (I read somewhere that a celebrity ACTUALLY DID THIS.) But when they go bankrupt, and are forced to sell the town, who buys it? Is it offered to the residents at a reduced rate so they can keep some sort of identity? Or do they just get tossed around and end up not feeling loved, or wanted?

See, you rich people cause others grief with bad spending.

Oh, and while I’m on the subject, did you know that many “Hollywood elite” get TONS of VERY EXPENSIVE things for FREE? I don’t know if these companies think that the papa-whatever will catch them with said item in their possession and therefore produce free advertising, or what. I say it’s a better to get these rich people addicted to your product, and then MAKE THEM PAY FOR IT. Yeah, that’s a smart business move right there. None of this ‘giving-things-away-for-free-to-people-who-can-afford-it’ business.

Or ridiculous things like this:

(This is a real store in Manhattan)

However,

I realize that people are entitled to do whatever they want with what they have. But the sad reality is that being rich isn't about how much you can spend, but how much you keep.

Rich people, listen up!

If your money burns holes in your pockets, you’re on your way to the poorhouse.
So, the next time you’re tempted to add diamonds to your daughter’s braces, or put that sixth floor bowling alley on the mansion, or expand your theater room seating to 1500, or put that red Lamborghini on credit because you “gotta drive away with it today”, remember: “ A fool and his money are soon parted.”

I would put the scripture reference, but apparently, it’s, um, not actually in the Bible.

And just for your information, neither is “God helps those who help themselves.”

I think we’ve all learned quite a bit today.

0 Comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin