I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, July 20, 2007

My Childhood Home



Owlhaven is doing this carnival today, and I thought I would be a part of it. We are to write about our childhood home. So here it is...

My childhood home has such fond memories for me. It was the only place I ever lived until I grew up and moved away. My Daddy still lives there. It's in Orrville, OH. The place where they make Smucker's Jelly. (Yes, I went to high school with "THE" Smucker Family's Daughter Sarah. They are totally NOT snobby. I actually taught Tim Smucker the 'Electric Slide'. Don't ask.)

So the setting for this childhood home is a quaint little town where my First Grade teacher used to read us Bible stories. And is surrounded by acre after acre of beautiful farm land.

It was an apartment on Market Street. Across from Stop-N-Go, aka Candy Land Central.

I never thought our home was small. I knew my Sister and I didn't have our own room, but I never thought it was weird. So we slept on the fold-out couch in the living room. So what? My Brother was the only boy and got the second bedroom. No biggie.

Turns out our home was small. I mean SMALL. Like 600 square feet. And it was also old. I mean OLD. Like a hundred years old.

But the memories. Oh! The memories!! We used to do some silly stuff there. I don't know how my Mother didn't kill us all.

We made up this game based on the car race track 'Criss Cross Crash'. (Anyone remember that?) Well, we would each start on a different side of the living room, and then we'd yell Criss! and run past each other. Then Cross! and run past each other again, and finally, you guessed it, Crash! and slam into one another. That was pretty fun. And loud. And obnoxious. And loud.

The furniture also was set up PERFECTLY for girls who loved to play Barbie. There was a coffee table behind the love seat with plants on it. It was the garage for Barbie cars. A pull through garage. Too cool. The tall open bookshelf was the high school, library, and restaurant. Then the surface area of the couches were the Barbie homes. It was AWESOME. My Sister and I have great memories of all the fun we had just cruising our Barbie Dolls around the living room in their pink convertible. Yeah.

And we would play FOR HOURS with every child in the neighborhood. And we'd invite them all to dinner. Without asking Mom. And we'd offer to give them Popsicles etc. My Mom really loved that we were so generous.

Growing in such a small space really forced us to LIKE to spend time together. We would have marathon board game nights where we'd play EVERYTHING WE OWNED. My Dad knew the answer to EVERYTHING in the Trivial Pursuit Game. Those were great days. My Mom sometimes would lay on the living room carpet and color with us. I always thought that was so cool.

And every year, when they'd show 'The Wizard of Oz' on tv, or the 'Miss America Pageant', my Sister, Mom and I would all snuggle up together on the floor with our pillows and blankets, and just BE. No worries, no stress. Just family. And love.

My childhood home means a lot to me. It's where I first started writing in a diary. Where I had sleep-overs with all my best friends. Where I grew up. Where I found out my Mom had cancer. And where I go that still feels like home.

It doesn't look much different. Sure, some of the furniture has changed. That second bedroom now houses Me and the Prince, Brother and Wife, or Sister and Hubby when any of us visit. The pull-out couch is long gone, and Sister and I don't play Barbie anymore. I am older now, and taller. My perspective is different. But when I walk through those rooms, I can be transported, and relive memories from any age.

And none of it will ever change in my heart.

5 Comments:

  • FriedOkra

    What beautiful memories. I know Barbies are controversial and all these days, but I think if there hadn't been Barbies when I was growing up, my sister and I would have killed one another. Barbie held our family together, man. Sniffle.

  • FriedOkra

    MMMMMMMMMM-MWAH! Thank you very kindly. I don't FEEL forty, either. Forty must really BE the new 30. Grin.

  • Lyndy

    What wonderful memories you have.

    Thanks for sharing and have a blessed weekend.

    Lyndy

  • Rebekah

    Great memories, reminded me of some of my own.

  • Owlhaven

    The Barbie place sounds too fun!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Mary

Blog Widget by LinkWithin