I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Mashed Potato Nose



I am writing this as my entry to FriedOkra's carnival today. Feel free to click on over to her site and read other people's Memories about food. Good eats!

There are lots of memories I have related to food. One reason being that I grew up with family that LOVED to cook.

My Grandmas were AWESOME cooks. My roots on both sides of the family tree swing from West Virginia, so there is some good food to be had there! My Grandmas always made their green beans with bacon grease and ham. The scalloped potatoes were always SO yummy and creamy. They also had a little ham. And my maternal Grandma's stuffing at Thanksgiving was THE BEST EVER!! (No, no ham there.)

My Mother was a GOOD cook too. She was also a SELFLESS cook. Whenever she would do a fish fry for herself and us kids, she would also make meatloaf for my Dad. Me? I say "That's dinner. Take it or leave it." But my Mom? She was awesome. (She passed away when I was 15. This is why I refer to her in the past-tense.)

I have great memories of dinner time growing up. Dinner time in my house meant that the TV was most certainly OFF, everyone was seated at the table with clean hands, thanksgiving was made for the food, and we actually TALKED to one another. But no singing. I don't know HOW many times I was told that.

That dinner table was a great place. We all learned about each other's day, were able to joke and laugh together, and really connected as a family. I guess that's why it's so important to me that I make sure my little family does that too. So many people I know didn't have that growing up. I know that I have been extremely blessed.

But, of course, I also have funny memories about food. One of my favorites is in our home videos. I am a baby, and my brother is feeding me mashed potatoes from his plate. He is about 4 years old, and is trying to act all cool by spooning them into my mouth without really watching what he's doing. He instead is making eye contact with the camera to prove his coolness. One bite he brings the spoon up too early, and a big blob of potatoes gets on my nose. He laughs so hard in the video (which is silent, by the way) and I am oblivious. That's all. Nothing super-hilarious. It's just such a great reminder of what a happy house I grew up in.

This next memory IS funny. I grew up in Ohio, and every summer friends and I would take a trip up to Cedar Point. It's a fun place to be. Well, we had met for lunch, and I ordered a sandwich, but didn't like the cheese on it. So I picked it off. Then, as I was wont to do, started messing around with my spoon. I ended up putting the cheese on the spoon handle, and using the spoon like a catapult. Before I even realized what I was doing, my cheese was flying through the air, and landed on a band man's head!! YIKES!! It was BAD! The fact that it had been covered in mustard and mayo only made things worse.

Of course the man had no idea where it had come from, and I am such an innocent-looking type person, that he never suspected me. But I tell you, I was shakin' in my boots there for a minute!!

Food for me, always has memories. I can't really pinpoint one specific food, I just know there are lots of good memories with food attached. Bon appetit!

5 Comments:

  • FriedOkra

    Love it love it love it! Mashed potato nose... too funny.

  • Mari

    How funny! I can't imagine the look on the mans face! I wouldn't have been able to pull that off. He would have picked me as the guilty party right away.

  • elaine

    What great memories. Thanks for sharing.

  • Pam

    My brother used to fall asleep in his mashed potatoes. I loved the part about your mom. Thanks for sharing.

  • Nancy

    Yup imgaine all sitting around a table again with the T.V. off!!!Great memory..

Blog Widget by LinkWithin