I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Saturday, July 21, 2007

I Am A Child of the King

This is a song I wrote a while back. It was inspired first of all by the beautiful story of Mephibosheth, the son of Jonathan, and grandson of King Saul. As a boy he was injured when fleeing the kingdom with his 'nanny', and became lame. As a result, he was sent to live in the cripples' village. (Both his grandfather and father were killed during the war.)

The sweetness of the story comes into play when David seeks to bless someone from the house of Saul for Jonathan's sake, and learns of Mephibosheth's existence. He then sends for him and reinstates his place at the king's table, and all lands belonging to him.

The real beauty of how Mephibosheth was a cripple, could do nothing for himself, yet is established as a son of the king, by the king himself, just reminds me of my place in Christ. No matter what sins I may be crippled with, what my past has been like, the King Himself has established a seat for me at His table! I am His child! Nothing can change that.

As I meditated on the wonder of that truth, and of the other people in the Bible who must have experienced the same thing, the Lord brought Rahab to my mind. I love her story. How she was a prostitute, but found the grace of God when she helped the spies over the wall and to safety. What were the days like for her before the city was destroyed, but her family spared? Surely men continued to look for her services, and perhaps when she informed them of her new life, she was met with mockery.

God gave me this song, and I wish I could add an mp3 file of how it sounds, but I don't know how to do that. May the words be a blessing to you.

(vs.1) “Rahab, You’re a harlot.” The man said unto her.
“You’ll never be a woman of renown.
The way your life has been is the way you’ll always be.”
Then he laughed, but as she spoke to him her voice was clear and loud.

(chorus) “I am a child of the King That changes everything.
No longer am I bound by who I was.
Since the Lord reached out to me,
I have been set free!
He’s given me a brand new life because,
I am a child of the King.

(vs. 2) “Woman, you’re a failure ” Satan said to me.
“You’ll never have a life to please the Lord.
Your promises you break, Your faith is awfully weak.”
Then he laughed, and as he mocked me
I said “There’s one thing you’ve ignored ”

(chorus)

Bridge: Why do we live defeated lives when Christ has given victory?
How can I trust in Satan’s lies, when Jesus gave His life for me?
When faced with doubts and fears I know, sometimes my heart strays.
But Jesus gives me faith and hope with boldness I can say:

(chorus)
I am a child of Jesus, the one and only.
Faithful, true and holy. He’s the Son of righteousness
Worthy of all glory. He is the King

2 Comments:

  • FriedOkra

    Aw. I wish I could hear it, the words are really lovely and moving... Do you write songs frequently? Is it a pastime or a profession for you? I'm new to reading your blog so maybe I missed all that information. Have a great weekend!

  • FriedOkra

    PS I linked this post on a Link Love post over at my place. Hope that's okay! If not, let me know.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin