I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, July 27, 2007

High School Meme (That I Stole From FriedOkra)

1. Who was your best friend?
My BFF went to a different school. We had known each other since kindergarten, and stayed friends no matter where she lived. Her Mom finally settled in the town next to us, and I was quite content with that. We used to do all kids of stupid stuff. Like go to the 24 hour K-Mart at 2 AM. Because we could. And since they were so sparsely staffed at that time of night, we would always ask to see something in the jewelery counter, and never buy anything. Although we made the decision not to buy look agonizing.

My best friend at my school was a guy named Kirk. We had been best friends since 7th grade. We met through the 'Gifted and Talented' class at school in 6th grade when we all rode the bus to the Jr. High on Fridays to do activities that would expand our minds and encourage creative thinking. Whatever. I just know I got to skip social studies and math.

There was actually a foursome of us that hung out; me, Jennifer, Kirk and Ryan. We used to watch all the old Danny Kaye/Bing Crosby musicals together, and then spend countless hours planning out how we (the four of us) would remake them and star in the remakes. The fact that none of us owned a video camera, nor had access to a million-piece orchestra for background music or wardrobe people probably had something to do with the fact that the remakes never happened. And now that I have this blog where I could sell them, I am just kicking myself. I shoulda had more initiative.

2. Did you play any sports?
No! Not that I didn't want to, it's just that I wasn't into sacrificing my first born child so I could be on the 'A' team for volleyball. I come from a very small town. Sports are big-time there. Unless you happen to be a female. Then sports are really just an opportunity to get sweaty. And who really needs to do that? I could sweat at home. Where no one demanded my offspring.

3. What kind of car did you drive?
The first car I ever bought myself was a Geo Metro. Hatchback.
Because I am COOL LIKE THAT.

Snickering is so immature. STOP IT, or I'm telling.

4. It’s Friday night. Where were you?
If it was football season, then you better believe I was in my band uniform getting ready for the half time show. Because I love me some suspenders and spats. And feather plumes. For the military-style hats. Because it's a good thing for a curly-haired female to wear a hat for a prolonged period of time. Yes, rain or shine, Friday nights were all about football. But for me, Friday nights were all about the bus rides with the band, sitting in the back of the bus. If you were in band, you know what I mean. If you weren't? Well, that's just too bad for you.

5. Were you a party animal?
Har-de-har-har!! *clears throat* Um, no.

6. Were you considered a flirt?
Har-de-har-har!! *clears throat* Um, no.

7. Were you in the band, orchestra or choir?
Yes, I was in the band. Since fourth grade thankyouverymuch. And also in the orchestra. I was first chair clarinet from my sophomore year through my senior year. In marching band I played trumpet on the 50 yard line, and in jazz band I played saxophone. I had a solo once in the Huey Lewis song: "The Power of Love". Yes, it was awesome. And cool.

I was also in the show choir (yes, the one where there is dancing, and everyone wears cummerbunds and bow ties). I even helped choreograph the dance moves for this 1950s set we did that incorporated songs from the Beach Boys, and Grease, etc. Sappy? Yes! BUT THIS WAS MY LIFE.

8. Were you a nerd?
Har-de-har-har!! *clears throat* Um, no. Were you?

9. Were you ever suspended or expelled?
Seeing as how I never broke the dress code, nor grew out my beard or sideburns, no, I was never suspended or expelled. If they only knew what the Drama Club did in the school one night...I might have been. But that is another story. Ask if you REALLY want to know.

10. Can you sing the fight song?
*Clears throat* mi-mi-mi-mi-mi....

Fight the team across the field
Show them that Orrville's here!
Set the Earth reverberating
With a might cheer: GO ORRVILLE!

Hit them hard and see how they fall!
Never let that team get the ball!
Hail, hail the gang's all here,
So let's win that old conference now-ow-ow! HEY!

*clears throat and curtsies* Wanna hear it again? No? Oh, ok.

And yes, the word reverberating really is part of that song. My school obviously focused on higher learning standards, and we took every opportunity to show off our superb vocabulary. Even in the middle of a fight song. Because we are nothing if not intelligent. And show-offy. We were also trapped in a time warp where everybody had school spirit and wanted their class to win the spirit bell at the pep rallies.

Each class had a 'battle cry'. The cheerleaders would lead it. It went something like this:
Cheerleaders: Seniors, seniors, don't be shy,
Stand up for your battle cry!
Seniors: V-I-C-T-O-R-Y!
That's the Senior battle cry!

Then the cheerleaders would pick, based on percentage of involvement, and general loudness, who would win the spirit bell. The class who won kept it until the next pep rally.

It was awesome. Because my class rocked!! (to the max)

Our school also made banners to put in the front glass doors of the school like: Trounce Triway! And stuff like that. Yes, we were in the Twilight Zone.

11. Who was your favorite teacher?
In High School I didn't really have a favorite teacher. I really loved school for the social aspect of it, and the learning was secondary. I did graduate in the top ten of my class, but for me, it was about the people. My classmates I mean.

We did have our share of weird teachers though. Remember, most of the school was stuck in a time warp. My Chemistry teacher, Mr. Yermin was a rebel. He let all the students call him Bill. I thought it was creepy. So I didn't do it. He was also the Student Council Advisor, so I refused to run for office. Icky feeling.

My A.P. Government teacher was interesting too. She had many "catchy" phrases. For instance, if you were having a bad day, she would ask 'What's your trouble Bubble?'
She also was rumored to be terrified of green jell-o. I am not sure I even want to begin to know why. She was a bigger (read:jiggly) lady with wide-set teeth in the front, and RED LIPS. I can bring her up in my memory like it was yesterday. *shudders*

12. What was your school mascot?
Rowdy the Red Rider. I kid you not. It was a student in chaps, boots, etc. with a HUGE cowboy head, complete with mustache, stupid grin, and enormous black felt cowboy hat. Kind of like a walking bobble head.

13. Did you go to the Prom?
Yes. My junior year I went with a guy whom I asked face-to-face for your information *cough*FriedOkra*cough*, and we had a blast! Well, I did anyway. He was Dr. Brown's son. A real catch, seriously. And not just because his Dad was loaded, either.

We were friends through Drama Club. He was funny and nice, (and cute) and I didn't have a date. So I asked him. And HE SAID YES. It was cool. I was gutsy!!

The night of prom a WHOLE BUNCH of us stayed over at a friend's house, and then went to church together the next morning in our prom clothes. It was the most fun!

14. If you could go back, would you?
Not on your life. Those were the good old days, but I am oh-so-happy to be in the AWESOME NEW DAYS with my trueloveforeversoulmateThePrince. And who wants to go back to 90's fashion? I am so over girls wearing ties, and stirrup pants thankyouverymuch.

15. What do you remember most about graduation?
I remember the tradition of the seniors going into the lobby of the school and singing the alma mater together before being dismissed to the front lawn:
Old OHS forever
We'll always think of you.
And the spirit that we find here
Growing up so strong and true!
Hold fast to friendships made here
Full of joy and mem'ries sweet.
Old Orville High we love you,
We'll always be true.
(Bum-Bah-Da-Da-DA-DAH!)

Truly, we were stuck in a time warp. A sappy 1950's-style time warp.

16. Where were you on Senior Skip Day?
At school. Because we didn't do that where I come from. We had standards. And large vocabularies, remember?

17. Did you have a job your senior year?
Yes! It actually started whenever legal working age was back then. I worked for our home town movie theatre: The Orr Twin Cinema. We had, obviously, two screens. I worked there with Kirk. Then my other friend Shannon joined us, then my sister did. We had a blast. I know how to make real movie theater popcorn. You don't even want to know what's in it.

But the theater was connected to the business next door which was, conveniently, a video rental place. So we worked both places simultaneously (that vocabulary again). It was a pretty awesome job. We got to see movies for free, and give our friends free popcorn. Totally cool. And hanging out in the film reel room and watching movies from the little window in the back? Priceless.

18. Where did you go most often for lunch?
I honestly don't remember. But I think McDonald's. Or Dairy Queen. Or home. NEVER the cafeteria. NEVER. Ew.

19. Have you gained weight since then?
I'm sorry, you're mumbling. I didn't understand the question.

20. What did you do after graduation?
Um, I moved on. Because no one cared anymore that I had been National Honor Society President, and Yearbook Business Manager, and Senior Class Vice President, and the lead in most school plays, and in charge of decorating the stage for Prom, and Co-President of the Drama Club, and in French Club, and band, jazz band, and show choir, and orchestra, etc. Do they? Didn't think so. I didn't even care.

Job applications don't have a line where you list your 'greatest high school accomplishments' so you can re-live glory days and revel in your former coolness even though now you are reduced to selling lotto tickets behind the counter of the local Stop-N-Go because you decided maybe college wasn't for you after all and you would just work for a while and see where that took you, but unfortunately no one needs their office decorated in the 'A Night In Oz' or 'Arabian Nights' theme, or cutesy articles written about officemates for the 'end of the year review', so your high school skills are basically maxed out at this point.

Is that what you were asking?

21. What year did you graduate?
1995.


22. Who was your Senior Prom Date?

Said friend Kirk. Who abandoned me halfway through the night, and I don't remember much about it except Stacey from the theater did my makeup, (IN THE THEATER OFFICE WITH FLUORESCENT LIGHTING) and I looked like a call girl. She also did my hair. Which she straightened, and teased out HUGE. And gave me fake nails. A semi truck actually honked at me on my way out of the theater to go home. It was horrible. I cried, then re-applied everything myself. In a little less-flashy, less Tina Turner kind of way. And I practiced some vocabulary words. Oh, you better believe I did.

24. Who was your homeroom teacher?
Miss Fast the yearbook advisor. Because this way we could get the low-down on how long to expect to stay after school, and deadlines and stuff. She was the cool teacher. And she liked me.

But I didn't really 'do' homeroom, because yes, I did the morning announcements. And during Christmas time, I really did bring bells like in 'Grease' and play a Christmas-type song before starting the announcements. I was the epitome of cool (in my mind). And I got to lead the pledge.

25. Who will repost this after you?
No idea, but I'd love to read others' experiences. 'Cause I need me some good laughs every now and then. And because I'm nosy. VERY NOSY.

3 Comments:

  • FriedOkra

    Hee hee hee I knew goin' all vulnerable about being boyphobic would promote some sort of mockery from some wiseacre! :) You were the big fish in the little pond, I'd say! And ooooooooo that car. Too bad we don't still have them, we could drag race. Or, you know. Park beside one another.

  • Summer in FL

    Hi! I also copied Fried Okra. Pop over and read mine since we graduated the same year! Funny memories!

  • Michelle

    oh goodness!!!
    See, now we just have to get you to take THE NERD TEST!
    http://www.nerdtests.com/funtests.php

    cause with drama club and band I'm pretty sure you would rank . . .as you say in the top of the class . .
    LOL!
    (truth is, I tried to be you, but was not so cool.. .which is worse I think . . ) I'm going to have to try this meme, but not right away . . .I have to feed the kids you know.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin