1/2 C Parmesan Cheese
1/2 C Cracker Crumbs
1 Clove Garlic
4 oz. Artichokes
1. Mix all ingredients; shape into balls. Place on cookie sheet and bake 350 degrees 13-15 minutes.
Aunt Annie's Pretzels
1 1/4C Warm Water
1T + 1/4t yeast
3 3/4 C Flour
1/2 C Baking Soda
1/4 C melted butter
1. Dissolve yeast in water. Let sit a few minutes.
2. Combine flour, sugar, salt. Add yeast, water and oil. Stir, then knead 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl and rise 45 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine 4C warm water and baking soda. Stir and set aside.
4. Remove dough and divide by eight. Roll until 3 ft long. Twist into pretzel shape and dip into bath. Drain a little. Place on a greased baking sheet. If you desire salt, sprinkle it now.
5. Bake 4-5 minutes then turn pan and bake 5 more minutes. Remove and cool.
For Cinnamon-Sugar: Combine 1/2 C Sugar with 2t Cinnamon. Brush pretzels with butter and dip (or sprinkle) in cinnamon sugar.
Baked Beef Empanadas
1C chopped red potatoes *
1C chopped onion*
1C beef broth*
1T cold water
1/2 lb. Ground beef*
1 clove garlic*
1 T cilantro*
36 won ton wrappers
1. Combine all * ingredients in skillet. Boil over medium heat, stirring. Reduce and simmer 8 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place baking sheets in 10 minutes.
3. Drain meat. Finely chop the mixture.
4. Combine water and cornstarch.
5. Put 1T mixture on wrapper. Moisten edges with cornstarch. Fold into triangle. Place on wire rack. Continue with the rest.
6. Remove baking sheets from the oven and spray to grease. Place empanadas on sheets. Spray tops. Bake 8 min, turning once.
Bean and Tortilla Stacks
1 can (8 oz) tomato paste
1/2 C water
1 can black beans, drained
4 soft tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
2. Combine salsa, paste, water in a bowl.
3. In separate bowl combine beans, corn and cheese.
4. Place 1 tortilla on greased sheet. Top with 1/3C salsa and 1/3 bean mix. Layer 2nd tortilla. Repeat.
5. Top final tortilla with 1/2C cheese. Bake 8 Minutes.
Chick Pea Hummus
15 oz. Chick peas, drained
1/4C fresh parsley
3T tahini (sesame seed paste)
1 garlic clove
1. Drain chick peas. Put all ingredients in food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Serve with pita triangles, veggies, or crackers.
Festive Sausage Cups
1 recipe no roll crust
1 lb. sausage
6 spring onion
1/2C chopped mushrooms
2C whipping cream
1C swiss cheese
1. Press crust into mini muffin tins. bake at 400 degrees for 6 minutes. Remove and cool on racks.
2. In skillet brown sausage. Drain. Set aside. In same skillet saute onion in butter until tender. Add mushrooms, salt, pepper. Sprinkle with flour. Add cream.
3. Bring to boil. Stir in sausage. Reduce heat. Simmer until thick.
4. Spoon into pastry cups. Sprinkle with cheese. Place on baking sheets. Bake 350F or 10 min.
Ground Beef Snack Quiches
1/4lb ground beef
1/4 t garlic
1. Cook beef, garlic and pepper until browned. Drain and set aside.
1 1/2C flour
1 t salt
2T cold milk
1. Combine ingredients. Press intp greased muffin tins.
2. Place 1 tsp beef mix in each.
3. Combine 1 egg. 1/2C cream, 1T sweet pepper, 1/4t salt, 1/4t Cayenne. Pour over each shell. Sprinkle with 1/2C cheese. Bake at 375 degrees F 20 minutes.
1 lb. Beef
2T soy sauce
8 Large lettuce leaves
3/4C water chestnuts
1 can crushed pineapple (drained)
1/3C orange marmalade
2T soy sauce
1. Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Brown beef on med heat 8-10 minuted. Drain. Add onions and soy sauce. Season with pepper. Cook 1 minute.
3. Spoon beef onto leaves. Top with chestnuts, carrots and chinese noodles. Spoon sauce over. Wrap. Serve with extra sauce to dip.
Roasted Pepper and Artichoke Spread
1C parmesan cheese
8 oz. Cream cheese
1 garlic clove
14 oz. artichokes (drained and chopped)
1/3C chopped roasted red peppers
1. Combine parm, mayo, cr. cheese and garlic in food processor. Process until smooth. Put in baking dish. Add artichokes and peppers. Stir well.
2. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
Spread on crackers etc.
1 1/4lb sausage
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 Pkg. puff pastry (2 sheets)
1. Combine all except pastry in a bowl. Roll each pastry sheet to 11x12 rectangle. Cut to 3 1/2" strips.
2. Spread 1/2C mix on each strip. Fold over pastry and press edges together. Cut each log into 6 pieces.
3. Place seams down and bake 350 degreesF for 20-25 minutes, or until golden.
Sauage Spinach Turnovers
1/3C chopped onion
1 pkg. (10 oz) frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
1 1/2C shredded cheddar
1t dry marjoram
salt and pepper
16 oz. bread dough (or one box of phyllo, yum!)*
1 egg white, beaten
1. In skillet cook sausage with onion until brown. Drain. Stir in spinach, cheese, mustard, marjoram, salt and pepper. Cook until cheese melts. Cool slightly.
2. Divide dough into eight portions; roll each into 6" circle. Spoon 1/2C meat mix into each. Brush adges with egg white. Fold over and press to seal.
3. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise 20 minutes.
4. Brush tops with egg. Cut slits in top of each. Bkae at 350 degrees for twenty minutes.
*If using phyllo, place two sheets together, cut into 4" strips width-wise, place 2T mixture on each, and fold like a flag. Brush with butter and bake on greased sheets until golden brown.
1lb Ground Beef
1/2C chopped onion
1 envelope taco flavor
2 sheets puff pastry
1. Combine beef with onion. Add taco flavor. Cook according to directions on packet.
2. Roll each pastry sheet to 12x16. Cut in half lengthwise then quarters width-wise.
3. Grease cookie sheets. Place each square on sheets. Top with meat and cheese. Bake until pastry is golden.
4. Remove from oven and top with salsa, sour cream and guacamole.
Splash of milk
salt and pepper
1 1/2C bread crumbs (italian style)
1/2C parmesan cheese
1 handful fresh chopped parsley
3/4 lb ravioli (frozen or dried: thawed and cooked)
5T olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 (14 oz) can tomatoes
1. Beat eggs with milk, salt and pepper, in shallow dish.
2. Coat ravioli in egg, then crumb mixture.
3. Brown ravioli in 3T oil until deep brown.
Cook garlic in remaining oil. Add crushed tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve ravioli hot with sauce to dip
Wednesday, July 14, 2004